LEARNING A UNIQUE SET OF SKILLS
In this uniquely challenging camp, participants will learn how to:
- Sail on Lake Tahoe
- Blacksmith with expert craftsman
- Orienteer with landmarks and compass
- Archery using Genesis compound bows
On crystal blue Lake Tahoe, campers will sail on our new fleet or RS Zest sailboats – that are durable, fast and fun for all ages. Your child is required to know how to swim for sailing and water activities.
Campers will learn to read weather and wind, boat basics, points of sail, helm control, sheet-work, knot tying and self-rescue and race techniques. Returning campers will learn more advanced race tactics and sail techniques, and sail in more trying conditions.
On land, campers will learn to blacksmith using hammers, anvils and the camp forge, which heats metal to 1000+ degrees Fahrenheit. Blacksmithing is a labor-intensive practice that requires safety, patience, planning and teamwork. Campers will create usable works of art.
When not sailing or blacksmithing campers will also enjoy archery, exploration and free-play games.
Ages: 8 years old – 13 years old.
- Note: Camp is split into a younger and older group. Here’s a rough breakdown; Group A – 8 to 10-year-olds. Group B – 11 to 13-year-olds.
Days / Times: Monday to Thursday from 9:00am – 3:00pm.
Where: To further increase social distancing, this camp location has been updated. The updated location is Mourelatos Lakeshore Resort, 6834 N Lake Blvd, Tahoe Vista, CA 96148.
What to Bring: For the best possible camp experience, please ensure your child comes prepared with a backpack, sunscreen (applied), lunch, snack, water bottle, bathing suit, change of clothes for blacksmithing, closed toed shoes and a great attitude!
- Note, Blacksmithing requires that participants wear pants and close toed shoes, if your child doesn’t bring these to camp they will not smith. Synthetic shirts and pants are prohibited as this material melts to skin.
Final Products: Campers will bring finished metal workshop home along with new found skills, experiences and friendships.
Capacity: This camp is limited to 20 participants. Camp is split into groups of 10, for social distancing compliance, each group will stay together for the duration of camp.